Following an enduro training accident on Thursday, August 31st, nine-time World Champion Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) was diagnosed with displaced fractures of the tibia and fibula of his right leg.
The injuries have been sustained to the same leg that he previously broke in his high-speed practice crash at Mugello in 2010.
That crash – which caused a displaced compound fracture to his tibia – put him out of the sport for 41 days.
Rossi is currently in Urbino Hospital, with the surgery likely to happen on Friday. It is understood that he was riding an enduro bike on a downhill section when the accident occurred.
Rossi’s father Graziano told ANSA: “Valentino is not optimistic. They fear there is a fracture. To do the radiograph they had to cut the boot, and Valentino told me he feels very bad.”
The 38-year-old, nine-time world champion is currently fourth in the MotoGP standings, having recently finished third at Silverstone.
His Yamaha team issued the following statement: “Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Team rider Valentino Rossi was involved in an enduro accident, during a training activity close to his hometown, on Thursday, August 31st.
“The 38-year-old Italian rider was taken to the 'Ospedale Civile di Urbino' for a check-up. A further medical bulletin will be issued in due course.”
Rossi had already sustained one motocross accident this year, suffering minor chest injuries in May.
Valentino will miss at lest the next couple of events.